Steps to apply for an Australian Student Visa

Before coming to Australia it’s important that you meet certain requirements from the Australian Department of Home Affairs as you will have to show them evidence that you are enrolled in full-time study with a registered institution.

Step 1 – Search for a course/institution provider.
Thankfully Australia has strict regulations emplaced for institutions offering courses to international students. All institutions offering this service must be registered by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). This can be located at the end of their website otherwise you can check the CRICOS register to see their registration details.

Step 2 – Prerequisites of study

Depending on the course you are taking check to see if the institution has any prerequisites these are important to ensure you will succeed in the course. Most often intuitions will expect you to a have a good IELTS score along with other prerequisites.

IELTS band score

  • 5.5 for Certificate or Diploma
  • 6.0 for Bachelors
  • 6.5 for Master’s

Step 3 – Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
So once you’ve done all the research and you’re happy to proceed to undertake a course through an Australian institution. You are required to complete the application form and pay for the application fee and whatever other fees are expected.

Once your application has been approved by the institution you will be granted a Confirmation of Enrolment this is important as you will have to show evidence to the Australian Immigration department that you are a full-time student.
The turnaround time for this process depends on you providing all the necessary documents these are;

  • Photocopy of birth certificate
  • Photocopy of passport
  • IELTS certificate
  • formal academic transcript (photocopies)
  • medical documents

Step 4 – The length of stay

This may vary depending on the duration of your course.
The Department of Home Affairs will grant you a visa for the duration of your study.

  • Certificates are from 12 to 52 weeks
  • Diploma or Advanced Diploma from 1 to 2 years
  • Bachelor from 3years+

Step 5 – Financial capacity
Australia is quite costly therefore the Department of Home Affairs will expect to see some evidence that you can manage the cost of living in Australia.

You must provide either:

  • sufficient funds to cover your travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for you and your accompanying family members and school costs for any school aged dependants, or
  • evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income of at least AUD 60,000 for single students or at least AUD 70,000 for students that are accompanied by family members

Step 6 – Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
Evidence of adequate health insurance. Health insurance must be Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

You must obtain OSHC for yourself and any accompanying dependants from at least one week before your course starts and for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Work while Studying

The student subclass 500 visa allows you to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break.

For more information please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website


  • No comments yet.
  • Add a comment